Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)Are you looking to buy The Blind Spot: Science and the Crisis of Uncertainty? Here is the right place to find the great deals. we can offer discounts of up to 90% on The Blind Spot: Science and the Crisis of Uncertainty. Check out the link below:
>> Click Here to See Compare Prices and Get the Best Offers
The Blind Spot: Science and the Crisis of Uncertainty ReviewThe Blind Spot: Science and the Crisis of Uncertainty by William Byers"The Blind Spot" is a book about the illusion of scientific certainty and that the secret to better science can be found precisely in the uncertain. This 224-page book is composed of the following ten chapters: 1. The Blind Spot, 2. The Blind Spot Revealed, 3. Certainty or Wonder, 4. A World in Crisis!, 5. Ambiguity, 6. Self-Reference: The Human Element in Science, 7. The Mystery of Number, 8. Science as the Ambiguous Search for Unity, 9. The Still Point, and 10. Conclusion: Living in a World of Uncertainty.
Positives:
1.A well researched, thought-provoking book about the philosophy of science.
2.An even-handed approach, pleasant tone throughout.
3."The Blind Spot" refers to the limitations of scientific theories. Find out what those are.
4. There is so much wisdom in this book, it truly is amazing.
5.Many important concepts defined.
6.So many thought-provoking quotes. Some time I found myself slowing down with the purpose of digesting the thought.
7.A very profound book without being unintelligible. An accomplishment in its own right.
8.The concept of "ungraspable" and its implications.
9.Mathematics in a whole new light.
10.What science truly is a new and welcomed perspective.
11.Certainty versus truth.
12.Is absolute certainty a myth? Find out.
13.Many references to some of the greatest minds ever.
14.Creativity...yet another new perspective.
15.The relationship between logic, certainty and truth.
16.Mystery and wonder and why it is so important to science.
17.Some practical examples behind the misapplication of science.
18.Models of uncertainty.
19.The dangers of worshipping certainty. Very interesting.
20.The concept of ambiguity like I've never seen before. An ambiguous reality.
21.Subjectivity versus objectivity.
22.What learning truly is.
23.Quality versus quantity.
24.The concept of unity.
25.What drives evolution.
26.Neuroplasticity.
27.The continuous and the discrete.
28.Conflict in a new light.
29.The reality of denial and its implications.
30."It is ambiguity and not certainty that best describes the way things are". Great quote, had to share that.
31.A dynamic view in scientific thinking. Proto-concepts...
32.Absolute control as a disaster.
33.Extensive notes and references.
34.Links worked great!
Negatives:
1.The Blind Spot can be...at times, ambiguous.
2.It's a book about scientific philosophy. Philosophy is not usually my cup of tea but this book kept my interest. That being said a good dose of caffeine wouldn't hurt to help stay focused.
3.I always have problem with the concept of transcendence and despite this book's unique perspective it still eludes my human limitations. The author claims such concepts as: unity, randomness, infinity and ambiguity are transcendental ideas. I wasn't satisfied with the explanation. Perhaps a follow up on my part is in order.
4.Yes the mind can influence the brain, but there is no mind without a brain. So I disagree with the notion that this evens up the scales. More like, there is a closer relationship between them than we had known.
In summary, this is a very interesting and thought-provoking book. As a career engineer, this book took me where very few have. I did suffer some bouts with cognitive dissonance but that is one the reasons I wanted to read this book and I'm glad I did. It has given me a much needed new perspective on how to do science, and for that I am thankful. I highly recommend this book.
The Blind Spot: Science and the Crisis of Uncertainty Overview
Want to learn more information about The Blind Spot: Science and the Crisis of Uncertainty?
>> Click Here to See All Customer Reviews & Ratings Now
0 comments:
Post a Comment